[Product-Developers] Re: How to deploy a plone 3 site??

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 2 07:22:24 UTC 2008

Mark Phillips wrote:

[..]

> The merging of buildout.cfg files seems to be a very error-prone manual
> process. Is there a more automated way? I am thinking of Java where one
> just drops a war file into a servlet container and it all works (most of
> the time).

I wouldn't "merge" buildout files but split them. ;-)

Familiarize yourself with buildout's 'extends' directive.
You can have any number of config files like

base.cfg (the stuff that's the same everywhere)
develop.cfg (extends base; add-ons, changes and overrides for
              your development environment)
deployment.cfg (extends base; add-ons, changes and overrides for
              your deployment environment)

Regarding your custom code: I suggest to tag the versions you use
to deploy your site and manage that via the EXTERNALS of your src
directory (or you set up local eggs server where you publish your
own eggs).

Setting up these different environments then is as easy as doing

  bin/buildout -c develop.cfg

versus

   bin/buildout -c deployment.cfg

HTH