[Product-Developers] Re: git svn and collective

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Fri Oct 31 13:35:16 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Dylan Jay wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm attempting to use git with the collective.
>>
>> Usecases are
>> 1) pull down a single branch of the project so I can manage patches locally
>> 2) upload a new project into the collective that is already under
>> control of git.
>
> You can easily do 1, but you can't do 2.

ok I finally worked out how to do 2). The key is to do init and then do
fetch using -r so as not to get all the revisions

https://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/pretaweb.funnelweb

 >git svn fetch --revision=74000:HEAD

 >git branch -a
* master
   origin/HEAD
   origin/master
   pretaweb.funnelweb/trunk

 >git checkout -b local-svn/trunk pretaweb.funnelweb/trunk
Switched to a new branch "local-svn/trunk"

 >git pull . master

 >git svn dcommit

or if you discover you have pdb.set_trace in your code, then commit more
than once you will find that dcommit will do checkin for every commit
you did so will fail.

I need to squash my last few commits by

 >git reset --soft HEAD~3
 >git commit