[Product-Developers] INSTALL.txt boilerplate for buildout?

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Fri Nov 21 11:47:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:31, Jean Jordaan <jean.jordaan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It isn't, but it does not include additional instructions when not yet
>> released as an egg.
>
> In that case, a phrase like "If this package has been released as an
> egg, ..." would work wonders ..

I am not sure that is the place to put it; I should get round to
releasing a first alpha instead.

>> You'll need to add the path to your develop line
>> too, in that case. This'll make sure buildout processes setup.py and
>> generates the egg metadata.
>
> Ah! That word "too"! I didn't realize that you have to add lines to
> *both* the egg and develop-eggs sections, and I can't find it in
> either
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout or
> http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout/tutorial-all-pages

The 'develop' line only functions to create develop eggs, and doesn't
tell buildout what parts actually *use* the egg.

> Should buildout complain if it finds something in 'develop-eggs' with
> nothing corresponding in 'eggs'? It does something (add a link file)
> but it doesn't look as if this is useful.

No, because the egg under development could be a dependency of another
egg. So if you have a 'foo' egg in development, which is a dependency
of bar (an egg included in an eggs line), it'll be picked up too.
There are also multiple places where you can specify what eggs to
include.

--
Martijn Pieters