[Product-Developers] Best practice for portal tools now-a-days?

Carsten Senger senger at rehfisch.de
Thu Nov 20 09:45:09 UTC 2008

Hi Wichert,

Wichert Akkerman schrieb:
> Previously Carsten Senger wrote:

>> The 'modern' way is to use a local utility registered in a local
>> sitemanager. You can turn a folder into a local sitemanager if you need
>> the settings context-dependent. I think Martin describes it in his book.
>> An advantage is that you don't have another tool in the zmi. But that
>> can also be a disavantage.
>
> I think the consensus is now that the modern way you describe is wrong:
> persistent utilities introduce a lot of problems. You can easily see
> this if you add a persistent utility to your site and then remove the
> package from your instance: suddenly your entire instance is broken.
>
> My advise would be to store your configuration in portal_properties and
> use a non-persistent utility.

That's good to know. It's hard to follow the state-of-the-art without a
canonical developers manual (but that may change).

Is there good example code that can be used as a reference?

Especially I'm interested in:
- the storage (Annotation, Propertysheet)
- formlib or z3c.form (what's will plone core go?)
- the way to bind the form code to the storage without much
   boilerplate

I would update Maltes Howto (and eventually other Documentation) with
this best practice.

..Carsten