[Product-Developers] Best practice for portal tools now-a-days?

Carsten Senger senger at rehfisch.de
Tue Nov 18 20:10:51 UTC 2008

Hi Alex,

Alex Clark schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Is adding a singleton ('portal tool') still the best way to persist settings for
> add-on products?
>
> For example, for Products.todo 0.4, I want to add a preference panel that allows
> the user to store various application behavior settings, and I'm wondering if
> the 'old skool' way is still the best/only/etc.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

The 'modern' way is to use a local utility registered in a local
sitemanager. You can turn a folder into a local sitemanager if you need
the settings context-dependent. I think Martin describes it in his book.
An advantage is that you don't have another tool in the zmi. But that
can also be a disavantage.

..Carsten