[Product-Developers] Re: Plone Developer Cheatsheet

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Thu May 29 16:50:17 UTC 2008

Thanks.  I think the new structure is definitely an improvement.

It looks a bit overloaded though.  There are 34 points in "Current best
practices" without apparent order.  It's hard to find what you're
looking for.

I believe what we want is a table of contents at the top, and one more
level of structure.  I imagine something like:

  - Current best practices
    - Python and development tools
    - Installation and Infrastructure
    - Zope Component Architecture
    - Templates and CSS
    - Content Types
    - Views and Forms

  - Emerging best practices
    - [maybe same as above, except that we leave out empty sections]

  - Obsolete practices
    - ...

When I start working with Plone, I can work through the Current best
practices from top to bottom, picking everything that's declared "must
read" (alternatively: "beginner").  And by reading the "advanced"
articles/links in "Templates and CSS" I can specialize in
skinning/theming.  Relying on the implicit order of items for weight
isn't structured enough.  Especially when you have more than one author.

Dylan Jay writes:
> Daniel Nouri wrote:
>> Dylan Jay writes:

>>> Thats certainly my intent behind it.
>>>
>>> First we'll see how if there is conflict and how it can be
>>> resolved. I'll suspect it will need email notification of changes to
>>> really make this work (and I don't think openplans does this) so
>>> people can see when someone makes an update that others disagree
>>> about. Or alternatively, encourage people to discuss before replacing
>>> things on the best practices list.
>>
>> So I started fiddling around with your document.  I have my little
>> problem with putting z3c.form in "Not best practice".  If the argument
>> is that it's "too early" let me tell you that my experience has shown
>> that it's much more mature than zope.formlib.  If people who haven't
>> looked at it decide that they don't want to learn it yet for whatever
>> reason, they should call it "too early for me".
>
> We have a problem in that formlib and z3c.form fill the same
> purpose. Since it's a current best practice list both can't exist in
> the same list.
> Since formlib is need to create a portlet I figured it had to be in
> the list. I also figured it had only just been newly integrated into
> plone even if it's mature on z3.
> Perhaps you should ask this list as a separate thread?

You don't need formlib for Plone 3 style portlets, you can also use
z3c.form.

There's still an argument for preferring formlib over z3c.form in this
document.  And that's that Plone itself uses formlib.  I think the
"Emerging best practices" cover this kind of thing pretty well.
(Compare with GS migration steps.)

>> Propse: Add a section "Forms", pull out PloneFormGen, zope.formlib and
>> z3c.form out of the their current sections and put them all there, side
>
> I got rid of those headings. Now just 3 sections. "Best Practice",
> "Depricated" and "Newer/Alternatives". Should be clearer what goes
> where.
>
>> by side.  I don't like "Standalone forms" either, as neither
>>  zope.formlib nor z3c.form specialize on "standalone forms", nor should
>> their use within Plone be encouraged to be for standalone forms.
>
> For plone best practice that is what they are good for, since AT is
> the currently the best practice for doing content types.

AT is best practice for portal types in the CMF sense.  It's not best
practice for objects with a slimmer interface.  Many products (like
CMFPlone) store objects in the ZODB that aren't subclassed from CMF
types or AT, think simple records, tools.  For these simple objects it's
misleading to say that Archetypes should be considered for add and edit
forms.  In the end, I'd argue that "standalone forms" is bad naming.
I'd use "forms libraries" and explain the details on when to use what.

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org