[Product-Developers] Re: Plone Developer Cheatsheet

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Thu May 29 10:37:37 UTC 2008

Dylan Jay writes:

> JoAnna Springsteen wrote:
>> Short term, sure but incredibly valuable. And if it puts us in a place
>> where we can talk about having best practices, then I think that's a
>> great place to be.
>> Having best practices gives us a much clearer path on what to
>> document. In a sense, it's a baseline. You have this one way of doing
>> something and this is the way to do it. Easier to document and
>> maintain that then a million methods for accomplishing the same goal.
>> And no, that doesn't mean we only do it that one way and we rule out
>> other methods. Definitely don't want to do it. But a best practice
>> helps us teach people where to start, what they really have to know,
>> and generally gives them a good foundation once they move on to more
>> complex things or pursue other methods.
>> I could go on but my entire point is, it's a conversation worth having.
>
> Thats certainly my intent behind it.
>
> First we'll see how if there is conflict and how it can be
> resolved. I'll suspect it will need email notification of changes to
> really make this work (and I don't think openplans does this) so
> people can see when someone makes an update that others disagree
> about. Or alternatively, encourage people to discuss before replacing
> things on the best practices list.

So I started fiddling around with your document.  I have my little
problem with putting z3c.form in "Not best practice".  If the argument
is that it's "too early" let me tell you that my experience has shown
that it's much more mature than zope.formlib.  If people who haven't
looked at it decide that they don't want to learn it yet for whatever
reason, they should call it "too early for me".

Propse: Add a section "Forms", pull out PloneFormGen, zope.formlib and
z3c.form out of the their current sections and put them all there, side
by side.  I don't like "Standalone forms" either, as neither
zope.formlib nor z3c.form specialize on "standalone forms", nor should
their use within Plone be encouraged to be for standalone forms.

I don't like the "Zope 3" section also.  While the underlying technology
used comes from Zope 3, it's more useful to distinguish by "What is this
useful for".  If people want to do content types, they don't care if
it's Zope 3 or not; they want to know about content types (and
e.g. Archetypes).

Maybe these would be better sections: Python and Development tools,
Templates and CSS, Installation/Infrastructure, Zope 3 Components,
Content Types, Forms, etc.

If your argument is that newbies need to see what's essential and what
not, why not mark items in the individual sections with "beginner",
"advanced" and "expert"?

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org