[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Sat May 24 17:58:56 UTC 2008

On May 23, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Ricardo Newbery wrote:
>>> Are you sure? They're dynamic, but they only change if you re-
>>> save  the portal_css configuration. If the caching proxy or the
>>> browser  has cached an image at /portal_css/<random>/img.jpg then
>>> that's  going to be stable, I think, until you re-save portal_css.
>> Hmm... I think one problem might be that the stylesheet will
>> typically  be cached much longer than the images.  What happens
>> when the dynamic  url changes (after a portal_css resave) but an
>> externally cached  stylesheet is still referencing non-cached
>> images via a url than is no  longer valid?
>
> Who cares?
>
> CSS is only going to change during development, when you don't have
> a cache server at all. Once it settles, it's going to be saved and
> not change.

I'm not sure this is a valid assumption.  I've frequently gotten
requests from clients to mod something on a production site or to add
a product that required some fitzing with the css.

Even in the absence of a reverse proxy cache server, stylesheets can
still be cached in forward proxies and browsers.

Ric