[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Sat May 24 02:27:02 UTC 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Ricardo Newbery wrote:

>>> Are you sure? They're dynamic, but they only change if you re-save
>>> the portal_css configuration. If the caching proxy or the browser has
>>> cached an image at /portal_css/<random>/img.jpg then that's going to
>>> be stable, I think, until you re-save portal_css.
>>

>> Hmm... I think one problem might be that the stylesheet will typically
>> be cached much longer than the images. What happens when the dynamic
>> url changes (after a portal_css resave) but an externally cached
>> stylesheet is still referencing non-cached images via a url than is no
>> longer valid?
>
> Who cares?
>
> CSS is only going to change during development, when you don't have a
> cache server at all. Once it settles, it's going to be saved and not
> change

If I'm doing themes now I'll use skins. but thats not really the point.
It's easy for me to choose now between skins and browser resources as
I've tried both and found out the pitfalls of each. And I wasted a few
hours doing it. skins vs resources, formlib vs hand coded forms, views
vs formcontroller. All those few hours keep adding up and they aren't
fun hours either. It's fun for us now we know all the differences
because we have more choice and can mix and match where it suits. I'm
just interested in a process where we get to one way of doing things
faster to make it easier for people to learn.
Hopefully good documentation is enough.

Dylan.