[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Fri May 23 02:44:21 UTC 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 12:54 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Martijn Pieters wrote:
>>>
>>> Style sheets often want DTML, which is not supported in browser
>>> resources.
>>
>> Nothing stops you from using ZPT for this. ZPT may be a bit more
>> cumbersome to use when outputting a non-XML format, but not that
>> much.
>
> Of course you can. But is is incredibly awkward to use an XML
> attribute
> templating language for a pure text format. We don't want to inflict
> that on users. Have you ever looked at our email templates? They are
> amazingly painful to read for that very reason.

FWIW, I've wondered whether the email templates could be *much*
simpler.  All you need is maybe one list of variable definitions and
one string replace with the variables in the appropriate slots.  Super
easy to read.  In my opinion, DTML is much overrated for this sort of
stuff.

Is it the need to accommodate all the i18n stuff that makes these
templates so painful?  Or is it because folks writing these things
weren't aware that you can embed linefeeds in with the tal attribute
values?

Ric