[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Jon Baldivieso jonb at onenw.org
Tue May 20 16:43:24 UTC 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 6:06 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Martijn Pieters wrote:
>>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net
>>> Nothing stops you from using ZPT for this. ZPT may be a bit more
>>> cumbersome to use when outputting a non-XML format, but not that
>>> much.
>> Of course you can. But is is incredibly awkward to use an XML
>> attribute
>> templating language for a pure text format. We don't want to inflict
>> that on users. Have you ever looked at our email templates? They are
>> amazingly painful to read for that very reason.
>
> pretty much all that gets replaced is colours + 2 widths. so I don't
> think matters much the templating. I'd personally prefer no logic in
> the css since it makes it hard to work with css people who aren't
> programmers.

The main win (for us at least) for using DTML in our CSS isn't logic,
per se; it's the ability to grab the portal_url variable so that we
can set background images with an absolute url.  (We do that in every
single customized theme we create, and like Wiggy, I shudder at the
thought of doing that in ZPT.)