[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon May 19 20:12:11 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Right now we have one solution: skin layers. Until the new stuff is used
> that is what people should be using. Consistent, flexible, and well
> documented.

For the record, I disagree with this (and so does my book).

I think browse views are vastly superior to skin layer templates,
because they give you a sensible place to put view logic. Last I
checked, they do cache in CacheFu as well.

Viewlets have to be done with Z3 resources. Portlet renderers too.

Style sheets and images don't, and people may prefer skin layers. I
prefer to have a well-defined namespace (the ++resource++ prefix) and to
follow along the same paradigm as the above three.

That said, unifying the customisation and configuration story here would
be an enormous win.

Martin