[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:05:42 UTC 2008

Michael Hierweck writes:

> Reinout van Rees wrote:
>> Martin Aspeli schreef:
>>
>>>  - Areas where there appears to be more than one approach, and it's
>>> not clear which one to choose
>>
>> Hooking templates up with views. I scream and curse every time someone
>> puts a hardcoded ZopePageTemplateFile('myhardcodedname.pt') in code. I
>> had to *monkeypatch* plone.app.content to wire in a different template
>> to render the folder listing (order of columns had to be different).
>
> Up to now I thought statements like
>
> render = ViewPageTemplateFile("xyz.pt")
> __call__ = ViewPageTemplateFile("xyz.pt")
>
> as if found them in Plone 3 for Viewlets and Portlets and other
> resources were good, modern style and best practice.
>
>> If we're going to be buried in zcml, please also use it for the places
>> where it is actually useful. Like the 'template' attribute so that you
>> can override it.
>
> How to make it better/more configurable?

If you're using your own layer, you can just register a view with the
same name for your layer.

You can't actually customize a view with the template argument unless
you use overrides.zcml or register it for something different.  So it
doesn't make too much of a difference if you assign the template in
Python or ZCML.

Of course, there's valid uses of registering a view class with a
different template.  To allow this, the author must use the 'index'
class variable name for the template, like so:

  >>> class MyView(BrowserView):
  ...     index = ViewPageTemplateFile("xyz.pt")

This allows you to register the same class with a different template,
for a different name or context.  (Naturally, registering it for the
same name and context will fail, unless you use a different layer.)

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org