[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Mon May 19 07:33:08 UTC 2008

Previously Dylan Jay wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> >Previously Dylan Jay wrote:
> >>For jbot to work it needs to work for templates on class views too as
> >>many mainly template views have a class to add in a tiny bit of logic.
> >>but since there are multiple ways to combine a template with a class
> >>view that is almost impossible right?
> >
> >jbot works just fine for those. It doesn't care where your use the
> >template, it cares about where the original template is.
>
> oh, cool. So jbot will work for
> plone.app.layout.viewlets.comments.CommentsViewlet for instance?

I think you have an incorrect understanding on how z3c.jbot works. It
does not care where you use the template, it only cares about where the
template is. CommentsViewlet is a class, not a location, and thus not
relevant. You can use plone.app.layout.viewlets.comments.pt and that
will override the template used by CommentsViewlet.

> Hence why I said "make browser resources work". I agree with everything
> you say that needs fixing. Although lots of them are on the way to being
> fixed. browserlayers for ordering for instance.
> I currently use skins too. but it took me some pain to find that out
> that I was better sticking with skins. Which is why I think we need one
> solution that works well and get rid of the other. What can possibly be
> gained by having two things advertised as doing a similar thing but work
> in different ways?
> flexibility without purpose == high learning curve.

Right now we have one solution: skin layers. Until the new stuff is used
that is what people should be using. Consistent, flexible, and well
documented.

Do not be distracted by all the shiny new stuff - most of it is not
quite ready for real widespread usage for various reasons. Some of us
are adventerous and will use it anyway and run into problems, hopefully
fixing them along the way. For normal Plone developers my advise is to
just stick with that works well.

Wichert.