[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Mon May 19 07:01:07 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Dylan Jay wrote:
>> For jbot to work it needs to work for templates on class views too as
>> many mainly template views have a class to add in a tiny bit of logic.
>> but since there are multiple ways to combine a template with a class
>> view that is almost impossible right?
>
> jbot works just fine for those. It doesn't care where your use the
> template, it cares about where the original template is.

oh, cool. So jbot will work for
plone.app.layout.viewlets.comments.CommentsViewlet for instance?

>>> - Devise a UI for through-the-web customization that unifies the skin
>>> layer (portal_skins) and customerize (portal_view_customizations)
>> why not get rid of skins all togeather? make browser resources work,
>> move all plone code to use it and deprcate skins. It's very confusing to
>> learn the difference between the two and very annoying to customise
>> things in multiple different ways.
>
> Because browser resources lack a lot of things: they have no ordering,
> no CacheSetup support, no support for TTW-only content, etc. Most of the
> time I find skins to be a much better choice than browser resources. And
> skins generate sane URLS, none of the ++ ugliness browser resources
> rely on.

Hence why I said "make browser resources work". I agree with everything
you say that needs fixing. Although lots of them are on the way to being
fixed. browserlayers for ordering for instance.
I currently use skins too. but it took me some pain to find that out
that I was better sticking with skins. Which is why I think we need one
solution that works well and get rid of the other. What can possibly be
gained by having two things advertised as doing a similar thing but work
in different ways?
flexibility without purpose == high learning curve.