[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Mon May 19 06:29:27 UTC 2008

Previously Dylan Jay wrote:
> For jbot to work it needs to work for templates on class views too as
> many mainly template views have a class to add in a tiny bit of logic.
> but since there are multiple ways to combine a template with a class
> view that is almost impossible right?

jbot works just fine for those. It doesn't care where your use the
template, it cares about where the original template is.

> >- Devise a UI for through-the-web customization that unifies the skin
> >layer (portal_skins) and customerize (portal_view_customizations)
>
> why not get rid of skins all togeather? make browser resources work,
> move all plone code to use it and deprcate skins. It's very confusing to
> learn the difference between the two and very annoying to customise
> things in multiple different ways.

Because browser resources lack a lot of things: they have no ordering,
no CacheSetup support, no support for TTW-only content, etc. Most of the
time I find skins to be a much better choice than browser resources. And
skins generate sane URLS, none of the ++ ugliness browser resources
rely on.

Wichert.