[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Mon May 19 04:58:31 UTC 2008

Dylan Jay wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Following a long discussion with Dylan Jay (buried in another thread
>> on Devilstick terminology), I thought I'd conduct an informal poll.
>>
>>  ==> As a customiser of Plone, or as someone wanting to build bespoke
>> components that extend Plone, what do you find most confusing?
>>
>> I think this could fall into a few categories:
>>
>>  - Areas where there's insufficient/poor documentation, but once you
>> learn how to do something, it's clear how to proceed.
>>
>>  - Areas where there appears to be more than one approach, and it's
>> not clear which one to choose
>>
>>  - Areas where Plone doesn't appear to have a good way to do something
>>
>> Please keep replies as succinct and factual as possible. I'm really
>> not interested in a winge fest by people who've been frustrated in the
>> past. I'd much rather have constructive feedback on where the pain is
>> and, if possible, suggestions for how to improve things.
>
> One thing that I think works well is generic setup. In that I understand
> that its where I go to have things configured on install, I can look and
> find examples of how other products have done it by doing a simple
> search for all "catalog.xml" for instance. So by saying it works well I
> mean its easy to understand and easy to use (from the filesystem, not
> the zmi portal_setup which is confusing).
> I just wish the roundtrip worked better (or I knew how to use it). I
> want to get it to export all the changes I've made from teh base plone
> say and have the result be able to be dumped into my filesystem profile
> without edit. At the moment portal_setup export gives me all teh base
> config from plone defaults.

Thinking about it a little more, one reason I like genericsetup profiles
is that the filenames make it obvious what its purpose is (on the whole)
and easy to find. Lots of our python code has no useful names at all and
many have the same name e.g. browser.py which make it even harder.
Having a view name, module name, class name, interface name all
different makes things hard to understand.
I haven't learnt grok or rails yet but am I right in saying they make
better use of the filesystem name similar to what jbot does? ie a
filename is part of the code.