[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Mon May 19 02:37:27 UTC 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Following a long discussion with Dylan Jay (buried in another thread on
> Devilstick terminology), I thought I'd conduct an informal poll.
>
>  ==> As a customiser of Plone, or as someone wanting to build bespoke
> components that extend Plone, what do you find most confusing?
>
> I think this could fall into a few categories:
>
>  - Areas where there's insufficient/poor documentation, but once you
> learn how to do something, it's clear how to proceed.
>
>  - Areas where there appears to be more than one approach, and it's not
> clear which one to choose

We seem to have so many ways to connect things and therefore customise
things that people use lots of different commbinations which are
unexpected and hard to guess.
For instance, yesterday I was looking at plone.z3cform. This is nothing
to do with using that framework, just to do with how they came to the
conclusion to use a combinatio of macros, views, etc to wire in default
plone like templates to z3c.form (they use a template that use macro
calls that a browser view that finds the macros in one template). So
many links in the chain it was hard to follow how it was meant to be used.
I think z3c.form uses adaptation to find templates as well.
I think we have so many different building blocks that everyone uses the
ones that first come to mind to make something work.
I'm not really sure how we get out of this. but some kind of standard
patterns of allowing customisation? or depricating old ways of doing
things.