[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Mon May 19 01:49:55 UTC 2008

David Glick wrote:

> On May 18, 2008, at 6:24 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>> * Skinning
>>> Zope 2 vs. Zope 3 technologies
>>
>> Yes - this is probably the top of my list to unify (and also very hard).
>
> I think the following efforts would take us 80% of the way in regard to
> staunching some of the pain that new techniques have brought for
> skinners (probably targetting plone 4?):
> - Add browser layer support to z3c.jbot and promote it as the
> recommended way to do filesystem customization of resources registered
> through ZCML (for those not familiar with jbot, this may sound like yet
> another technology, but really it's a simplification.  It allows
> customization of things like viewlet and portlet templates just by
> placing a ZPT in the correct filesystem directory, so that it feels more
> like a skin layer.)

For jbot to work it needs to work for templates on class views too as
many mainly template views have a class to add in a tiny bit of logic.
but since there are multiple ways to combine a template with a class
view that is almost impossible right?

> - Devise a UI for through-the-web customization that unifies the skin
> layer (portal_skins) and customerize (portal_view_customizations)

why not get rid of skins all togeather? make browser resources work,
move all plone code to use it and deprcate skins. It's very confusing to
learn the difference between the two and very annoying to customise
things in multiple different ways.
btw one way browser resources are harder than they need to be is that I
can't take my working html mockup + css + images and drop in a directory
and have it work.