[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

David Glick davidglick at onenw.org
Mon May 19 01:12:15 UTC 2008

>> Writing Tests
>> There is lots of documentation, but writing tests still don't feel
>> approachable. I know this is bad, but when I need to get code out
>> the door, I skip the testing step. Maybe I need more practice,
>> maybe test creation needs to be easier, don't know.
>
> Remind me never to use your code. ;-)
>
> What's wrong with the updated http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/testing
>  and the associated example.tests package that Philipp and I
> developed for the previous Plone Conference?

(snip)

>> I think this will settle down with better documentation around the
>> paster way of doing product development, I now use paster/ZopeSkel
>> for skin development.
>
> I use ZopeSkel to start Archetypes product with the 'archetype'
> template. If you don't use ArchGenXML, it's a good place to start.

I wonder if these two items are related.  Learning to write effective
tests (e.g. the subjective question of what tests are important to
make, as opposed to the technical question of how to set up test
infrastructure) can be quite a challenge if you haven't done it
before.  I think Martin's right, there are good example tests (not
least of all in many Plone add-on products).  But as I recall, the
'archetype' template sets up infrastructure for doctests but not unit
tests, and it doesn't include any actual test cases or a pointer to
where to learn how to write them.  Perhaps we could add this.

David Glick
Project Associate
ONE/Northwest

New tools and strategies for engaging people in protecting the
environment

http://www.onenw.org
davidglick at onenw.org
(206) 286-1235 x32

Subscribe to ONEList, our email newsletter!
Practical advice for effective online engagement
http://www.onenw.org/full_signup