[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Mon May 19 00:56:10 UTC 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Following a long discussion with Dylan Jay (buried in another thread on
> Devilstick terminology), I thought I'd conduct an informal poll.
>
>  ==> As a customiser of Plone, or as someone wanting to build bespoke
> components that extend Plone, what do you find most confusing?
>
> I think this could fall into a few categories:
>
>  - Areas where there's insufficient/poor documentation, but once you
> learn how to do something, it's clear how to proceed.
>
>  - Areas where there appears to be more than one approach, and it's not
> clear which one to choose
>
>  - Areas where Plone doesn't appear to have a good way to do something

I think it hurts the most when something goes wrong. I write something
that I think should work, it doesn't, suddenly I'm faced with understand
everything I'm relying on.
Debugging is a nightmare. Perhaps I'm not using the right tools. but
generally I try to read the code, which with the amount of indirection
these days is pretty hard to read. The fact thats its not obvious where
the definition the code I'm after is makes it harder. For instance I was
trying to find the schema definitions fot ATCT the other day... and
thats just z2. Trying to work out how to the standard templates got
connected in in plone.z3cform was even harder.
I'm not 100% sure how to fix this. A tutorial on how to read code?
The slow startup time makes this worse of course because one way to try
and fix things is to try different stuff and see what happens.