[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Sun May 18 18:22:25 UTC 2008

Martin Aspeli writes:

> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>> To me, p.a.c today is a building block for bigger and better things
>>> that are still in the R&D phase.
>>
>> I'ld call it an experimental prototype. You can do things with it, but
>> we may just as well replace it with something else.
>
> I think we're more likely to build something on it than replace it
> outright, because the base classes in plone.app.content are really
> just convenience starting points that pull the bits of Zope 2, 3 and
> CMF that you need to make a content type that's meaningful to Plone. I
> certainly see the mix here evolving a bit, and I'd love to shed some
> of the zillion base classes, but having such a shared starting point
> that more specific technologies can build upon makes a lot of sense to
> me.

For simple content types, do we need something other than
plone.app.content and a supporting form library?  (I had the impression
that you're doing this in some projects already, Martin?)  And wouldn't
this approach, once it's proven to work well, tremendously simplify the
story of developing with Plone?

What are all these things that AT is supposed to have but p.a.c doesn't?

Daniel