[Product-Developers] Re: Where does it hurt?

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Sun May 18 18:16:01 UTC 2008

Martin Aspeli writes:
> David Bain wrote:
>> 3. We need to overemphasize key knowledge requirements. So documents
>> like "5 things you MUST know to become productive in Plone -
>> Interfaces, Utilities, Adapters, ZCML, Generic Setup. This document
>> would not be a b-org style tutorial, it would briefly explain each
>> item and show 3 examples of usage for each technology. This would
>> help to frame a user's understanding. I think the closest tutorial
>> to this was the five walkthrough (now marked as outdated). To update
>> that tutorial for today's needs, I would use examples form other
>> products and briefly discuss (on sentence), what problem was being
>> solved in the context of that product.

I made a tutorial in January 2007 that explains how ZCML, views and
Generic Setup are useful by creating a little product with the least
fuss:

  http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/benefit-now-from-using-genericsetup-and-zope-3-technologies

It's still up to date.

Yes, you will eventually want to learn more about the underlying
concepts, but that's best done with Philipp's book, which covers your
needs for consistent and thorough documentation of Zope 3 concepts.
"Web Component Development with Zope 3" will answer all your questions
about interfaces, schemas, adapters, utilities, annotations, ZCML, etc.

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org