[Product-Developers] Re: Plone Skillset Checklist

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Tue May 13 23:16:25 UTC 2008

David Bain wrote:
> I put together this checklist today, for the guys at my company. I
> figure it would be useful for others who want to "audit" their knowledge
> and skill level in Plone/Zope.
>
> I don't consider myself a guru and I'm not comfortable with all of this
> stuff, but here it is, for what it is worth.
>
>     * Creating Python Products
>           o Archetypes
>                 + ArchgenXML + ArgoUML (tagged values, stereotypes UML
>                   tools)
>                       # Products
>                       # Tools
>                       # Portlets
>                       # Configlets
>                       # Tests
>                       # Interfaces
>           o Unit Testing
>           o Doc Testing
>           o Functional Testing
>     * Zope 3 Skills
>           o configuration using zcml
>           o interfaces
>           o adapters
>           o utilities
>           o annotations
>           o viewlets
>           o browser resources
>           o working with formlib
>           o z3c.form
>           o eggs
>           o formlib + archetypes
>     * Paster
>     * Buildout
>     * Setuptools
>     * Eggs
>     * PyPI
>     * WSGI
>     * Clouseau
>     * PDB
>     * Python List Comprehension
>     * Python Lambda
>     * Python decorators
>     * Python dir()
>     * Python help()
>     * External Editor
>     * Python Scripting and External Methods
>           o programmatically manipulating zope objects
>                 + invokeFactory, getToolByName etc...
>     * ZPT, DTML
>     * CSS
>     * ZSQL or SQLAlchemy/Alchemist
>     * cvs and svn checkout and check in, managing trac
>     * Understand and able to implement Web Standards
>     * Custom Settings (alter default settings)
>     * Created Customization Properties
>     * Python/ZODB manipulation

I'd add
* plone.browserlayer
* archetypes.schemaextender
* batching
* generic_setup
* cachefu
off the top of my head.

This is a great list for anyone needing a cheatsheet of what they need
to learn. It would be even better to have it on a wiki somewhere,
perhaps each item tagged with what you need to learn it for.