[Product-Developers] Re: GS/QS installing issues on Plone 3.1

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:21:16 UTC 2008

Andreas Jung writes:

> --On 12. Mai 2008 16:10:17 +0200 Daniel Nouri wrote:
>
>> Andreas Jung writes:
>>
>>> For a new project/product (for Plone 3.1) I am setting up a complete
>>> installation infrastructure.
>>>
>>> - defining an extension profile for the project creates a new item within
>>>   the add/remove programs control panel - fine
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> - how do you define additional 3rd-party products that should be
>>> installed additionally (should replace installProduct() calls as one did
>>>   in former times within Extenstions/Install.py)?
>>>
>>> - while having an extension profile and a local Extension/Install.py
>>> file, the Install.install() does not seem to be executed using this
>>>   approach? Or am I missing something? In my case I need additional
>>>   actions being taken (e.g. for setting up some vocabularies with
>>>   ATVocabularyManager).
>>
>> For these, you'll need to setup a setup handler.
>>
>> See
>> -
>> http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/CMFPlone/branches/3.1/profiles/default
>> /import_steps.xml#L123 -
>> http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/CMFPlone/branches/3.1/setuphandlers.py
>> #L489
>>

> Sorry but that does not answer my question. Why should I have to write
> my own setup handler for installing other 3rd-party products through GS?
> This is a common task and should be part of the Plone framework
> (wasn't that one of the additions being made for Plone 3.1?).
>
> I am confused.

Bad naming from my part probably.  By setup handler I meant a "various
handler", which is simply Python code.  See the aforementioned link to
setuphandlers.py.  You need to hook it in via 'import_steps.xml'.

There's also a dependencies.xml file in CMFPlone 3.1.  Apparently, that
one will simply import profiles that your Product depends on, see

  http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/CMFPlone/branches/3.1/profiles/dependencies/metadata.xml

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org