[Product-Developers] Re: How can we win the battle for developers?

Andy McKay andy at clearwind.ca
Sun May 11 19:32:14 UTC 2008

On 11-May-08, at 6:22 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:
> We could be driving forward but leaving everyone else behind. The
> more technology we introduce without replacing and COMPLETELY
> discarding old ones, the harder we make it for developers to join
> and help us and eventually we run out.
> Is it a goal to get rid of old ways of doing things like form
> controller?
> I think an excellent goal would be to make martins book half the
> size it is today. I suspect if another version were released to
> today it would have to include more chapters rather than less :(

I think that's a great goal. Another person to ask about this is
anyone who's done Plone training (or of course the God of Training, Mr
Burton).

The list of what a person needs to know is huge and alot of time full
of terminology and jargon that really doesn't need to be there. As an
exercise (and maybe we should do this) try listing it all out and it
gets v. scary. I thought it was bad 4 years ago, nowadays I don't know
if it's gotten better or worse these days. But I do know is that if
many developers who use multiple systems or jump between different
languages will become familiar with recognized patterns and
terminology. Making up lots of new names and ways to do things only
creates yet more barriers.

I agree with many of your points and wanted to express support. For
many people choices between x, y and z, etc aren't an advantage. It
creates confusion, worry and a fear that whatever they code will be
obsolete.