[Product-Developers] Re: How to use z3c.form with Plone

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Fri May 9 11:31:04 UTC 2008

Michael Hierweck writes:

> Daniel Nouri wrote:
>> I just uploaded a new tutorial to plone.org that explains how to use
>> z3c.form with Plone. z3c.form is the next generation Zope form library
>> and excels through ease of use and very good documentation.
>>
>> http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/easy-forms-with-plone3
>
> does this conflict with zope.formlib and the widgets related to
> zope.formlib like UberSelectionWidget?

zope.formlib and z3c.form widgets are incompatible.  But porting widgets
from formlib to z3c.form isn't hard.  We've ported Martin's formlib
WYSIWYG widget to z3c.form in less than an hour, getting rid of some
Zope 2 hacks that proved unnecessary in the z3c.form model.  You can
find the port in the plone.z3cform source.

> The portlet infrastructure and some other update standalone forms use
> zope.formlib. Is it possible to mix these approaches, e.g. use z3c.form
> with the portlet infrastructure and reuse widgets?

We've used z3c.form forms successfully in a Plone 3 style portlet in
Singing & Dancing.

> Or will there be do indepent form libraries with different sets of
> widgets?

You can't use zope.formlib widgets with z3c.form.  However, the set of
stock widgets for z3c.form is in very good shape, and there's people
that actively develop z3c.form widgets, see zw.widget, jquery.widget,
z3c.formjs, z3c.formdemo etc.

Daniel