[Product-Developers] Re: How can we win the battle for developers?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Thu May 8 15:32:42 UTC 2008

Gilles Lenfant wrote:
> Le 7 mai 08 à 16:12, Roberto Allende a écrit :
>
>> Dylan Jay wrote:
>>> Are other people finding is hard to find good plone
>>> integrators/developers that need work?
>>

> [...]
>

>> A serious problem we have in our company, menttes work just with
>> Plone, is how expensive is to add/train new developers. Is very hard
>> to find python or zope developers out there. So, we've to train every
>> new person in all the stack, and this is a big investment for a small
>> company.
>
> And the learning curve of Python + Zope2/3 + Plone is about 6 months for
> a good newbie. And Plone 3 added about 1 month to that learning curve -
> compared with Plone 2.
>
> I think that one of the goals for Plone 4 (5?) should be to cut this
> learning curve to 4 months, this should really attract more people to
> Plone.

Yep. It would be great when skins and form controllers and python
scripts never have to be learnt or considered.
Plones high learning curve is caused by too much choice of ways to do
things IMO. We need 1 or 2 ways of doing things at most. and if there is
more than one way they need to have a very clear reason why and when you
use one or the othe?
Is the roadmap to remove all the z2 ways of doing things?

Dylan.