[Product-Developers] Re: How can we win the battle for developers?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed May 7 22:30:49 UTC 2008

David Durham, Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
>>  Is Jython *really* a viable solution today?
>
> I see info about people successfully running Django on Jython.
>
>> I've never seen anyone use it
>> in anger, or use it for non-trivial things. Maybe I'm just looking in the
>> wrong places?
>
> If Plone + Jython is made to be a viable option, there will be an
> increase in the number of Plone developers.  I predict that it would
> be massive, but I could be wrong.  Do you disagree?

It probably wouldn't be "massive", but it would make Plone a more viable
choice in a lot of situations. I'd *love* to see this!

However, I am not aware that Jython is (yet?) production-ready and
useful enough to make this an achievable short/mid term goals. Are we
seeing other frameworks that work properly on Jython? Are people using
it in production? Those are not rhethorical questions, I'm curious. :)

Martin