[Product-Developers] Re: How can we win the battle for developers?

David Durham, Jr. david.durham.jr at gmail.com
Wed May 7 14:45:59 UTC 2008

>  I agree when people say Plone is not for the masses and it's not our market
> the php/publishing one. But we should be more agressive in the component
> framework one. How many people you find in the street knowing j2ee, how many
> knowing zope ?. It would be great if you find people with python/zope
> knowledge as you find with java/j2ee.
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=python%2C+java&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

Also keep in mind that increasingly, Java/J2EE is a platform for
deploying applications written in languages other than Java.  When I
evaluated whether or not I should use Drupal or Plone, part of my
thinking was that Jython is something that's going to be a worthwhile
investment (our shop is a Java one).  Realizing that Plone didn't work
with Jython was a disappointment, but not a show stopper.  For others,
it's probably a show stopper.

With that said, Plone is a community opensource project, and if the
developers themselves don't have an interest in deploying Plone to
J2EE environments, then they should definitely not spend their
volunteer time making this happen.  I do think, however, that this
would lead to an increase of Plone deployments and open up a lot of
interesting development.

-Dave