[Product-Developers] Re: How can we win the battle for developers?

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Wed May 7 06:11:03 UTC 2008

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 7. Mai 2008 09:07:49 +1000 Dylan Jay
> <gmane at dylanjay.com> wrote:
>
>> Are other people finding is hard to find good plone
>> integrators/developers that need work?
>>
>> I just wanted to open this up for dicussion this has been something that
>> has been troubling me for awhile.
>>
>> Will plone survive if people picking up web development for the first
>> time prefer php, django, rails or .net to z2/z3?
>>
>> Why do we care?
>> I care in the short term because its hard to expand a business without
>> developers. Clients face the same problem. If they are cluey their
>> criteria for picking a platform will included the availability of
>> development resources regardless of how cool the technology is.
>>
>> but in the bigger picture open source survives by attracting new
>> developers. If there are no new z2/z3 developers then plone will die
>> right?
>>

> What's the point here? Complex frameworks require solid know-know.
> Like in any other framework the number of really good people is small
> compared to the number of "average" coders. Even average developers
> should be able to deal with some training and good documentation with
> Zope 2 and Zope 3 technology. Not sure if and how you want to address
> the dregs of the developers community in some way.

I know lots of good developers who don't use plone. They use django,
rails, drupal.
I'm saying I think we (Plone) get less good developers than we deserve
and less than are needed for the amount of work available.
And this will mean that in the future there will be less Plone work and
less Plone core development.
So I'm asking where do people think good developers come from and why
aren't using Plone?
And what can we do about it?

I have my own theory which is that good developers start as hobbiests or
students. Perhaps they are a java developer like I used to be who
started playing with zope and then plone. I used it for a few internal
work projects, wikis etc. Then I started my own business providing Plone
integration services. Score +1 developer for the Plone community.

So what are all those hobbiests playing with now?