[Product-Developers] How can we win the battle for developers?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed May 7 04:31:31 UTC 2008

--On 7. Mai 2008 09:07:49 +1000 Dylan Jay <gmane at dylanjay.com> wrote:

> Are other people finding is hard to find good plone
> integrators/developers that need work?
>
> I just wanted to open this up for dicussion this has been something that
> has been troubling me for awhile.
>
> Will plone survive if people picking up web development for the first
> time prefer php, django, rails or .net to z2/z3?
>
> Why do we care?
> I care in the short term because its hard to expand a business without
> developers. Clients face the same problem. If they are cluey their
> criteria for picking a platform will included the availability of
> development resources regardless of how cool the technology is.
>
> but in the bigger picture open source survives by attracting new
> developers. If there are no new z2/z3 developers then plone will die
> right?

What's the point here? Complex frameworks require solid know-know.
Like in any other framework the number of really good people is small
compared to the number of "average" coders. Even average developers should
be able to deal with some training and good documentation with Zope 2 and
Zope 3 technology. Not sure if and how you want to address the dregs of the
developers community in some way.

Andreas