[Product-Developers] Extend user profile with SQLPAS + membrane + remember

bcacheira at dcc.fc.up.pt bcacheira at dcc.fc.up.pt
Mon May 5 11:53:18 UTC 2008

Good day.

I'm trying to retrieve some information from a MS SQL database about users,
which is currently working using freetds + unixodbc and can be used to
authenticate into plone via SQLPASPlugin. Plone version is 3.0.6.

Still, now I'd like to extend the fields I can retrieve with SQLPAS Load
properties and display them on the "author" page. I can do this up to a point
with the SQLPAS col_mapping, and hacking the author template to use the
GetUserProperties function, but that only gets me the logged in user
properties.

So basically, I wanted a way for me to be able to map user data on the database
(let's say something like his favourite colour) and have that information
available when anyone looks up the user profile on his author page.

I thought about using membrane + remember, but I don't know if that would enable
me to do it.

Also, is it possible to mix fields you load from the database with fields that
live only in plone, in respect to the user? For instance, an author page with
the layout:

username:
email:
favourite colour: <- loaded from the database via SQLPAS user properties
user signature: <- text, possibly html or similar, with some info that the user
provides, to be stored in the Data.fs

I'm a noob to plone (only heard about it when I started fidling with it, about a
month ago), so any help you can provide me woul be most appreciated. Thanks.

Departamento de Ciencia de Computadores
Faculdade de Ciencias da Universidade do Porto
http://www.dcc.fc.up.pt/