[Product-Developers] Re: task/time tracking for multiple client projects

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Sun May 4 12:10:24 UTC 2008

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:29 AM, Dylan Jay <gmane at dylanjay.com> wrote:
>> Thanks and if I did want to spend that much money then I'm sure its good and
>> its a plus supporting a company thats just down the road esp one with so
>> many people I know who work there...
>>
>> but I forgot to mention preferences for opensource.
>>
>> Whats the next best opensource alternative?
>>
>> POI seems easy but is not multi project or use estimation.
>>
>> Scrum seems a good fit but martin's oi.plum is just a toy :(
>
> You have to consider that opensource != free. Are you planning to
> extend your task/time tracking software yourself? How much that will
> cost you in development time that could be billed to a customer doing
> real work?

I've been in software development to know that developing and
maintaining your own systems can be a false econonmy. and of course
being in the open source integration business I tell my customers every
week that open source doesn;t mean free.
I take your point that jira's functionality is worth it.
I am a bit supprised that there isn't more open source realistic open
source alternatives. Open source seems to thrive where there are many
alternatives like for instance CMS's or editors. It's curious that in
your opinion nothing open source has met that level of quality.

I'll have a look at jira.