[Product-Developers] ContentCaller [was: External Content compatibility with Plone 3]

David Durham, Jr. david.durham.jr at gmail.com
Thu May 1 21:34:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM, grahamperrin <G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk> wrote:
>  > javascript security applies, so you can't make a call to an external host
>
>  but that need not be a show stopper if I can use Apache or whatever to make
>  the *external* content appear to be local to the Plone service. Discussed in
>  <irc://irc.freenode.net/#plone> with David Durham.
>  Watch this space...

I added an IFrame content type to the ContentCaller.  I understand
that zWindow already does this. but it probably doesn't hurt to have
it in this product too.  IFrames solve the issue of external hosts,
but could also lead to the dreaded scrollbar within a scrollbar
problem.

The other solution which is I honestly had no idea was already
implemented for a previous version of Plone is basically proxying.
I'm generally against writing a proxying content type for this
product, because of the possible issues that come along with that.
Having to deal with rewriting or disabling links and events and also
handling timeouts is what comes to mind for me right now.

-Dave