[Product-Developers] Re: please recommend (or warn me off) a linux flavor that can...

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 31 23:27:14 UTC 2008

PythonHack wrote:

> Hey Plonistas
>
> I FINALLY get to set up a linux box! (there is a God after all) and I
> need to impress the bean-counters.
>
> This box will be used for python/zope/plone development (and proof of
> the stack) but I need a kickstart selecting a linux flavor.
>
> I have tons of DOS/windows experience (25+ years) but virtually none of
> unix/linux.  I am confident I can learn what I need to 'on the fly' but
> right now the OS has to 'just work' (I can't get into compiling it, etc.)
>
> I need to setup multiple instances of plone 3 with zeo (via buildout) as
> quickly as possible and with the absolute least difficulty.  I may also
> be setting up:
> - pound with apache (it's a quad core box)
> - entransit and/or deliverance
> - varnish
>
> I had looked at centOS and ubuntu server.

I run a CentOS and multiple Ubuntu machines, and the CentOS one is an
absolute PITA.  Ubuntu is much simpler.

> I was about to install ubuntu server but I just noticed that it uses
> .deb instead of .rpm.  Is ubuntu going to be a limitation for me later
> on, or are debian versions universally available?

More so than rpms - I have far more headaches getting rpms to play nice
together than I do with ubuntu and debs.  Some days I could kill the guy
who decided to go with CentOS.

Just remember to completely ignore zope & plone in the package system
(whether you use CentOS or Ubuntu) - they're practically stone-age.

Also, put all Plone "sites" in their own zope databases (ZODB) - we didn't
do that and retrofitting is becoming a problem...  The system grew rather
faster than expected :-)
--
derek