[Product-Developers] Re: UnicodeDecodeError

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 24 19:27:22 UTC 2008

Dirceu Pereira Tiegs wrote:

> Em 24/03/2008, às 14:39, Walter Cruz escreveu:
>>> I was with the same problem some months ago. One possible workaround
>>> is to set the default encoding of your python environment to utf-8;
>>> worked for me.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>
>> Hi Dirceu! Yes, I can do it. But isn't a little hackish?
>

> Yes, totally. :-)
>
> Like I said, it's a workaround, not a fix. I didn't had the time to
> look for a proper fix last time I used AGX (a couple of months ago).

I'm not convinced it's "hackish" - one suspects that if you intend to use
non-ascii characters on your site, python _should_ be set up for unicode -
but I wish it was a little more obvious what is right (and more importantly
if there are any python issues we're going to run into by changing the
default - I would guess there's a reason why it ships without a unicode
default).
--
derek