[Product-Developers] Indexing contents in external database

Marica Odagaki mariment at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 08:57:12 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm quite new to the Plone framework.
What is the best way to integrate contents in external database
to the Plone's indexing system?

I'm building a corporate knowledge base system where
a sqlite database holds the document data (title, body, author, etc.) and
Plone just acts as a viewer of those data.
Document writers will use Trac to edit and manage the publishing process.

I'm just starting out to design the system and got stuck
at how to make them searchable effortlessly.
There are several options I'm aware of:

 * Mirror the contents of the sqlite database to the ZODB.
    Searching will be handled by the Archetype system in the normal way.
    < Problem: content synchronization. Rather, I prefer reading the
database directly.

 * Use SQLStorage Archetype
    < Problem: SQLStorage seem to have a particular way of using the
database.
        i.e. it needs special columns like uid, parentid.
       Will it work with my Trac/Plone dual system?

 * Use ZSQL
    < Problem: I haven't looked into ZSQL that much but
       it seems like a simple mechanism for accessing databases.
       Is there a way to expose it to the indexing system?

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!

P.S. My company's relatively new "developer site" is already on Plone 2.5.3
https://plus.ce-lab.net/