[Product-Developers] Re: Re: Product installed but not listed as "installed" - remains in the "installable" list for portal_quickinstaller

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Mar 19 17:13:14 UTC 2008

David Bain wrote:

> I know it installed properly because I can now add the new portal type to
> my plone site.
>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Derek Broughton
> <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> David Bain wrote:
>>
>> > What would cause a product to install but not be listed as installed?
>> >
>> Many errors in the install process.
>>
>> > I've created a product which, when installing, it installs successfully
>> > but remains in the the "installable" list for quickinstaller. This
>> happens
>> > when installing the product under Plone 3.0.
>> > Plone 2.5.x behaves as expected.
>>
>> How do you know it installed successfully?  I'd say it didn't.  Usually
>> starting "zopectl deubg" will show you an error, even though you didn't
>> see one in the install.

I've just reproduced this situation.

I had an uncaught exception in my GenericSetup script (setuphandlers.py /
postInstall, as generated by ArchGenXML).  The exception _quietly_ fails
the install - but all types are already registered.  I suspect this only
happens because I have commit points in my postInstall.
--
derek