[Product-Developers] Re: custom at edit form?

Derek Richardson derek.richardson at gatech.edu
Fri Mar 14 12:16:20 UTC 2008

Hedley Roos wrote:
> Don't customize base_edit. It is a bad idea in most cases. But if you
> feel inclined to do so then remember to also copy the .metadata file
> to your skins dir or the Form Controller won't know how to glue the
> process together.

I did not customize base_edit in place. I tried copying base_edit,
renaming the copy, and using that as my edit form. I also tried the code
you gave me. Both failed in the same way.

I copied and renamed the .metadata file, hoping that would fix the
error. No go. No one had mentioned the .metadata file before. Perhaps
there is something else I need to do that no one has mentioned yet?

The problem is that there is no "errors" in context when the processing
gets to field.pt. I am guessing "errors" is put there by the validator,
which is invoked based on the .metadata file. So, I think I still have a
mistake in this area, despite copying and renaming the .metadata file. I
  have skills with Zope (primarily 3) but this controller page template
stuff is new to me. Any hints, even (especially?) the obvious, are
appreciated.

I read the relevant bit of the Definitive Guide, but have been unable to
find more info on controller page templates. I re-bought Martin's book
in e-book form and searched for info on customizing edit forms and came
up without enough. I'm doing everything I know to solve this problem,
which is urgent for me. Custom edit forms cannot be this unusual! I am
pleading for assistance.

Derek