[Product-Developers] Re: r60200 - SimpleAlias/trunk/profiles/default

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 7 14:34:35 UTC 2008

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Raphael Ritz wrote:
>> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>> Log:
>>> Cleanup the profile. Why o why does everyone seem to insist on overriding
>>> meta types for tools when that can only brak things.
>> Maybe because portal_setup adds it itself on export?
>
> An export is always a base profile, which has to contain all
> information. That makes it significantly different than an extension
> profile which only defines differences. The less information there is
> in an extension profile the better.
>
>> At least I often use exports as starting point for my
>> extension profiles and I often forget to remove the meta
>> type declarations even though I know I should.
>
> Someday that may hurt you :)

I know. But as I hate to write XML by hand and as the
diffs created by comparing two snapshots aren't well
adapted to be starting points for extension profiles
either it's just the way of least resistance.

I guess I'm not the only one who upgrades products by
installing them "the old way" in Plone 2.5, exporting the
relevant parts useing the setup tool and working my way
from there. Frankly speaking I'm in part doing that still
when writing new AT-based products - at least for the FTIs.

I think GS and its tool would really benefit from some
"export diff as extension profile" feature but I know
that this should be brought up elsewhere (and I also
know that I'm not the first to propose this).

Raphael