[Product-Developers] Error with cropText and non-breaking spaces (  ) in Description

David Bain david.bain at alteroo.com
Thu Mar 6 16:51:56 UTC 2008

 I've created a product which uses the BodyText as the Description.

This causes a problem with plone's cropText method, it seems to
"choke" when a Description contains a non breaking space.
Based on my research, it seems that utf-8 has issues with the
non-breaking space character.

The error I kept getting looked like: UnicodeDecodeError  	'utf8'
codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 136: unexpected code byte

This is not a typical situation, since Description text, by default,
never has any html or html encoding.

Worth noting in case that someone else has a need for cropText with
HTML that contains non-breaking spaces.