[Product-Developers] Importing users currently stored in a RDBMS

Tim Knapp duffyd at kokorice.org
Mon Mar 3 20:58:05 UTC 2008

Hello again,

Just picking up on this thread again as I've got some more results to
report back.

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 08:50 +1300, Tim Knapp wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 11:18 +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:
> >
> > --On 22. Februar 2008 23:00:41 +1300 Tim Knapp <duffyd at kokorice.org>
wrote:

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a client who currently has all their customers stored in a
> > > Firebird database and they would like to import these into Plone.
The
> > > setup I'm currently using is a SQLPASPlugin(v1.0 but with Firebird
> > > support added)+Plone3.0.5+Zope2.10.5.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking I should really create an import script of some type
> > > interface directly with the Firebird db and Plone and forget about
the
> > > fact that I'm already talking to the Firebird db via the
SQLPASPlugin.
> > > I'm also guessing that Plone does some other *magic* stuff within
the
> > > ZODB when a user is created so just pointing the SQLPASPlugin at
the
> > > already populated user table in the Firebird db is not going to
work.

> > Huh? Isn't the design of PAS intended to support different user
sources and
> > to seperates the user management into various aspects like
authentication,
> > authorization and so on?
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> You may very well be right (I'm not up on my PAS theory) but according
> to my tests the user doesn't appear to get 'enabled' (read doesn't get
> their user properties in Plone updated from the RDBMS) until the user
> has clicked on the link in the email that's sent out by the
> PasswordResetTool (though the email address is actually updated in the
> RDBMS user's table) - so it appeared to me that there are some things
> that need to be processed at the plone end before a user is
> 'enabled' (though this may be a design implementation detail of the
> PasswordResetTool - maybe I should remove the tickbox on validate
> password or whatever it's called on the Plone site properties..)

I've confirmed that removing the tick from 'validate_email' in the site
properties has no effect on the users that have appeared in the plone
site by way of the user table from the RDBMS (i.e. the one referenced in
the SQLPASPlugin).

My specific question is as follows: is it possible to have an existing
sql table of users and then point the sqlpasplugin at it and
*particularly* have it import the user properties?

Thanks in advance,
Tim