[Product-Developers] Re: Buildout Builder: Community Server on Popular Plone Configurations

Dylan Jay gmane at dylanjay.com
Thu Jun 5 23:58:25 UTC 2008

Kenneth Miller wrote:
> All,
>
>     As part of my GSOC project (the BuildoutBuilder http://www.openplans.org/projects/buildoutbuilder/summary)
>   I'm trying to compile a list of common plone products used when
> deploying plone for different applications.  For example a common
> configuration might be plone portal for managing a software project,
> the products included might be Poi, a projectmanagement package, etc.
> The plone4artists ( http://plone4artists.org/) and plone4usergroups (http://code.google.com/p/plone4usergroups/
> ) "product stacks" are pretty good examples of what I'm looking for.
> Once I've attained a good idea of the popular configurations, I'll
> turn these into buildouts that everyone can download and start using.
> Any feedback is welcome, and especially welcome if you've got an
> example buildout you wouldn't mind sharing!

I proposed the idea at one point of datamining that information from the
buildouts themselves.

One way to do that would be to have a special recipe that everyone is
encouraged to use that when a build happens in production (not dev) it
reports back aspects of its configuration to a central stats server.
That acts as a vote towards use of certain modules. And would let you
see what stacks are used for what sites. Of course you can also go
further and do cluster analysis to see what modules often go hand in hand.

Although this sounds more complex it does have the advantage of being
self updating. Once you compile the above list, whats the process for
keeping it up to date?

Also for me, I tend to find each site I do is a combination of purposes.
I did a site recently that was ecommerce and maps and member profiles.
another that pod/vod casting so combined in p4a modules.

I also always start with my own base buildout and add in modules. So
what would be much nicer for me would be eggs that had other egg
dependencies. For example if i wanted a complete ecommerce shop for
selling online videos say, someone could make an egg that just depended
on getpaid and p4a eggs in the setup.py of their "bundle" egg. I simply
add that egg to my buildout and I get it all. Then I can keep my
buildout clean yet customised.

Isn't that what everyone does? create a buildout once, svn it and then
keep reusing their own customised version?

(there are other methods of datamining that info, for instance
webscraping all publicly accessible buildout.cfg)