[Product-Developers] Re: storing site-wide global persistent data

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Jun 3 15:13:47 UTC 2008

Previously Jordan Baker wrote:
> To answer my own question, I looked at Martin's book and noticed that
> the approach there is to register a local utility implementing the
> interface which is inherently persistent by the virtue of being local.

There is no requirement that local utilities are persistent. It is
perfectly possible to have a local registration for a utility factory.

> This seems cleaner than attaching data to the Portal Root which then
> needs to be manually cleaned up if you uninstall your product for
> example.

I still like storing that stuff as properties on the portal root or in
portal_properties. That makes them visible through the ZMI and you get
full GenericSetup support for free as well.

Wichert.