[Product-Developers] Re: formlib vs z3cform which one to use?

Daniel Nouri daniel.nouri at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 11:04:23 UTC 2008

Martin Aspeli writes:

> David Bain wrote:
>>
>> Now that plone.app.z3cform is documented and reasonable usable should we
>> consider replacing formlib with z3cform?

I'd recommend plone.z3cform.  A couple of people are using it in
production and it works very well.  It's seen a lot of bug fixes and
real life use.

> Depends. z3c.form is still cutting edge. Last week, Daniel refactored
> and broke most existing forms. :-) I suspect we're a month or two off
> a beta or rc quality Plone/z3c.form integration package that does
> everything you want.

What's there is very stable.  No reason to believe it's not "beta or rc
quality".  What's missing is inline KSS edit; inline validation on the
other hand is there.  And probably a couple of other things that we
never needed.

> There are also some particular deployment issues right now, i.e. you have to
> fiddle your buildout a little to use a newer zope.component IIRC.

Yes, you need to make changes to your buildout.  They're documented
here:

  http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/easy-forms-with-plone3

>> If we are standardizing on one "recommended" technology, which should it
>> be?
>>
>> What are the pros and cons?
>>

> z3c.form is nicer to work with if you have use cases other than a full-page
> add/edit/standalone form. It has nicer APIs if you want to make very dynamic
> or unusual forms, and more hooks.
>
> formlib has (marginally) more widgets and is properly supported and
> documented in Plone 3. I would use formlib unless you want to help refine
> the Plone-and-z3c.form story.

Whatever "properly supported" means.  I've run across a lot of bugs in
the past working with Five's formlib integration.  Like bugs with
internationalization (IE6 and non-ASCII form values...) and subforms
support.

I guess you're referring to an exotic feature or two that the formlib
integration supports that plone.app.z3cform does not yet.  I doubt that
you can say it's better documented (in or outside Plone), given the
excellent documentation that comes with z3c.form.  The fact that almost
no Plone specific documentation is necessary for z3c.form is in fact an
advantage.

--
Daniel Nouri
http://danielnouri.org