[Product-Developers] Add Collection (ATTopic) on User Registration?

Brayton Osgood braytonosgood at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 00:13:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to automatically create Collections for each user that I
register. I haven't quite been able to figure out how to do this.

If I add the following code to the end of my register.cpy:

 >context.portal_factory.createObject(id='collection_for_'+username,
type_name='Topic')

it takes me to the TTW Collection creation page, but this isn't really
what I want.

Alternatively I've tried calling another script from register.cpy
where I have the following:

 >##Python Script (addCollection)
 >##parameters=user=None

 >pf = context.portal_factory

 >member = pm.getMemberById(user)
 >id='collection_for_'+member

 >mytopic = pf.createObject(id=id,type_name='Topic')
 >mytopic.addIndex(friendlyName='Collection for '+fullname,
description='Automatically refreshing folder with all content tagged
for '+fullname, enabled='True', criteria='user')
 >pf.doCreate(mytopic,id)

return mytopic

This gives me the following error:
Exception Type  	AttributeError
Exception Value 	'str' object has no attribute 'addIndex'

which implies that mytopic was created as a string, not a collection.
Any ideas on how I might fix this, or if it's even possible to do what
I'm trying?

Thanks very much,
Brayton