[Product-Developers] version.txt, metadata.xml, ...

Martin Stadler martin at siarp.de
Tue Jul 8 09:16:14 UTC 2008

Hi!

I'm just wondering how to deal with version numbering. The paster
script (ZopeSkel 2.3) generates a version number for the egg. For
templates that include a GS profile it also generates a version.txt
and a metadata.xml and all get the same version number.

I read http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/195
so metadata.xml contains a version number for the GS profile that
*should not* be mixed with a product release number. (But it still
is?) When I remove version.txt the metadata.xml version number is
shown in portal_quickinstaller.

How are the versions of the egg, the product (version.txt?) and the
profile connected?

Do I need the version.txt for egg products that have a metadata.xml?
Maybe for being backwards campatible with Plone < 3.1 only?

Should I create a version.txt myself for non-egg products (without a
GS profile)?

Please shed some light on the issue. Thanks,
Martin