[Product-Developers] Plone4Artists Calendar considered harmful

Hans-Peter Locher locher.hanspeter at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 2 10:44:47 UTC 2008

Hi,

I just wanted to update our Plone 3.06 site, to Plone 3.1.2  containing
the Plone4ArtistsCalendar addon product.
I had some difficulties with it.
Following the issue tracker:

http://www.plone4artists.org/products/plone4artistscalendar/issues/78

... I'm not the only one.

Asking about this on the plone4artistst channel, wasn't helpful, there
where only short or no answers, and little help.

After investigating using the private p4a svn

http://plone4artists.org/svn/projects/p4a.calendar/

I found out that the browser and interfaces module had been deleted (!!)
from the module.

Migration doesn't seem to be of much interest. To get our instance back
rolling I had
to create a custom egg containing browser and interfaces pointing to the
new home of this
parts.

The release status on pypi is another story, as there are broken eggs,
or eggs pointing to broken eggs.

(Like p4a.plonecalendar requireing broken p4a.calendar==1.1b1(no zcmls.))

Currently the product seems to be unstable, and shouldn't be used in
production environments.

Everyone makes mistakes, I know but I need to write this mail to
prohibit others from wasting tons of time
like I had to... (it was a PITA)

I hope this mail encourages p4a to improve their release / migration
management. The products attracted much attention and
it would be a pity to never use them in production anymore.

Best regards
mr_savage
hans-peter.locher at inquant.de