[Product-Developers] Single sign on across heterogenuous systems

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 10:22:24 UTC 2008

My personal favourite for this is mod_auth_tkt
(http://www.openfusion.com.au/labs/mod_auth_tkt/), as it seems to me the
simplest of the single sign on systems. It is a simple shared secret system
with signed cookies.

It installs as an apache module (simple ./configure
--with-apxs=/usr/bin/apxs2; make; make install on ubuntu). Works as a dropin
substitute for basic authentication, so if the other application is running
in apache there is nothing to change. If proxying the X-Authenticated-User
header is set. It's possible to set the cookie domain to .domain.com to
support shop.domain.com and www.domain.com

I've got a branch of plone.session here that implements the protocol (no
apache required, but compatible - I'm using it to log users in apache logs)
http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/plone.session/branches/elro-tktauth

There is space in the cookie for user data, so you could easily put full
name in here, or more if you want to extract it with regular expressions to
an apache env variable. If you need more than this then I suggest just
looking up the metadata in another system (ldap or sql).

OpenID isn't really for this use case (a single system).

Because the non plone site can verify the cookie is valid, no callback needs
to be made to the plone site. I don't know of any standards for doing HTTP
callbacks for user metadata, LDAP is the standard for this sort of data
really.

Laurence